Distressed Customer Service Management
One of the most difficult aspects of any customer service job is managing customers who are angry or frustrated with your business. It doesn’t matter what the reason for the irritation might be. Right or wrong, difficult customers are a challenge that must be handled adeptly if you want to keep a solid client base.
The test of service excellence is how effective, responsive, proactive, delightful the service provided is in terms of addressing a customer’s problems and needs, turning unpleasant situations such as complaints into future opportunities. Understanding the psychology of difficult customers, their needs, and having the knowledge and skills to handle them well will certainly reduce work pressure making servicing interesting, and more importantly producing results for all – a win-win-win situation for the customer, the individual service provider, and the company.
We have provided many tailored workshops and team coaching sessions in the areas of handling difficult people. We also have a special program devoted to advanced customer service skills where conversations are intentional and measured to neutralize the distress.
These modules can be customized for face to face, phone conversations and email writing and targeted for:
- Consumer Business
- Call Centre Agents
Many of our clients who have large Customer Service teams have benefitted from our advanced Customer Service framework – Distressed Customer Management – which covers the following areas of difficult situational conversations.
- Responding to a visibly upset customer
- Neutralizing their emotions when the customer rants
- Controlling your anger with the customer
- Conveying empathy without misleading the customer
- Managing the customer who rejects our rejection
- Defending your stance whilst keeping the customer attentive
- Turning a deadlock conversation into a dialogue again
- Resolving issues when there are differences
- Learning to de-personalize instead of getting personal